Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dr. Hatch (Patch) Adam

Patch Adam is the partially true story of a man who believed a humanity & generosity should be part of a doctor job. i like this movie because it give me courage and spirit to be a good future doctor insyaAllah. it realized me why exactly we want to be a doctor. there are several lines in that movie which hook me up.. :)

All of life is a coming home. Salesmen, secretaries, coal miners, beekeepers, sword swallowers, all of us. All the restless hearts of the world, all trying to find a way home. It's hard to describe what I felt like then. Picture yourself walking for days in the driving snow; you don't even know you're walking in circles. The heaviness of your legs in the drifts, your shouts disappearing into the wind. How small you can feel, and how far away home can be. Home. The dictionary defines it as both a place of origin and a goal or destination. And the storm? The storm was all in my mind. Or as the poet Dante put it: In the middle of the journey of my life, I found myself in a dark wood, for I had lost the right path. Eventually I would find the right path, but in the most unlikely place. 

***********

Treatment would be defined as the care of a patient seeking medical attention.
I offer them whatever help I can. Everyone who comes to the ranch is a patient and every person who comes is also a doctor. Every person who comes to the ranch is in need of some form of physical or mental help. They're patients but also every person who comes to the ranch is in charge of taking care of someone else...whether it's cooking for them, cleaning them...or even as simple a task as listening. That makes them doctors.

***********

What if one of your patients had died?
What's wrong with death, sir?
What are we so mortally afraid of?
Why can't we treat death with a certain amount of humanity and dignity and decency
Death is not the enemy, gentlemen.
If we're gonna fight a disease, let's fight one of the most terrible diseases of all...indifference.

**********
Every human being has an impact on another.
Why don't we want that in a patient/doctor relationship?
A doctor's mission should be not just to prevent death...but also to improve the quality of life.
That's why you treat a disease, you win, you lose.
You treat a person, I guarantee you, you win, no matter what the outcome.

**********

Now here today, this room is full of medical students.
Don't let them anesthetize you. Don't let them numb you out to the miracle of life.
Always live in awe of the glorious mechanism of the human body.
Let that be the focus of your studies and not a quest for grades...
which'll give you no idea what kind of doctor you will become.
Don't wait till you're on the ward to get your humanity back.
Start your interviewing skills. Start talking to strangers.
Talk to your friends, Talk to wrong numbers, everyone and cultivate friendships...
with those amazing people in the back of the room... nurses that could teach you.
They've been with people every day. They wade through blood and shit.
They have a wealth of knowledge, and so do the professors you respect...
the ones who are not dead from the heart up.
Share their compassion. Let that be contagious.

***********

I want to be a doctor with all my heart.
I wanted to become a doctor so I could serve others...
and because of that I've lost everything...but I've also gained everything.
I've shared the lives of patients and staff members at the hospital.
I've laughed with them. I've cried with them.
This is what I want to do with my life.
And as God is my witness...
I will still become the best damn doctor the world has ever seen.

Our job is improving the quality of life, not just delaying death.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...